Friday, September 02, 2005

Attention residents of Jacksonville, FL

I know that several of you out there in blog land live here in Jacksonville, FL. I just wanted to let all of you know some of the efforts that are being made locally to help the victims of Hurricane Katrina:

1. There is a blood drive going on at the UNF campus today to help stock the blood banks in Florida as they are trying to aid the gulf coast as well keep Florida supplied. The drive will be held at The Crossings on campus between 3:30 and 8:30 today. For more information please call (904) 620-1570.

2. PRI Productions, the company I used to work for, is loading their semi trucks full of food and supplies for the people of New Orleans, Mississippi and Alabama. If you have any clothing, canned goods, personal hygiene products, blankets, pillows, bug spray or any other supplies please donate them, every little bit helps. I know there are several organizations and locations around the city making the same efforts but I just wanted to make you aware of this opportunity that I am directly involved in and can personally guarantee that these supplies will make it into the hands of the people who need them. PRI is located in San Marco off of Atlantic and Kings Road, just look for the "Jacksonville Care - Hurricane Katrina Relief" bannered truck in the parking lot. You can drop off donations between 7:00 am and 7:00 pm 7 days a week (even labor day). Donations will be accepted until the trucks are full. If you need directions please call (904) 398-8179.

If you need more information you can contact me by leaving a comment, it will come directly to my work email address.

Thank you to everyone that contributing and donating.

9 Comments:

Blogger Queenie said...

The blood drive is from 3:30 - 8:30 at The Crossings here on campus. For more info or an appt. call (904) 620-1570.

8:36 AM  
Blogger Queenie said...

Storm,
I too am extremely afraid of needles and last time I tried to give blood it was a 3 hour ordeal! My veins just don't cooperate...so I'll probably still be there when you guys come along -my appt. is at 3:30!

9:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

3:30? Maybe I'll try to come by around then. I always get the finger prick (which I think is the worst part) and then they tell me I need more iron and send me home with a list of foods to eat.

9:17 AM  
Blogger Queenie said...

Please come with me kitkat - I'm shaking just thinking about it! We can take walk over from here. Oh wait, I might not be able to walk back after the whole experience ;) and you have my parking pass - come get me.

9:20 AM  
Blogger Maki said...

I donate blood every 8 weeks, but am not eligible again until next week. So I guess I'll be giving when the bloodmobile is at my workplace on Wednesday.

My advice is to EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT before you give blood. Drink a soda, too, since you need to keep your blood sugar up. I went before lunch only once. I will never do that again. Trust me on this.

It's great to see so many people doing so much to help the victims. More than our government seems to be doing for them... But that's a rant for another time and place.

10:25 AM  
Blogger Jax Peach said...

I just called that number, and they said NOT today, but next week. He said that the girl who coordinates it is named Shelly and to call back Tuesday. He thinks the drive is Wednesday. . .are you guys sure?? Did I get a bum steer?

Thanks for the info. I needed to clean some stuff out of my house, anyway!

2:25 PM  
Blogger kris said...

This is fantastic Queenie!

Thanks for your wonderful post to my blog this week. :)

6:34 PM  
Blogger Queenie said...

UPDATE -
Sorry guys, I got some bad info about the blood drive last week! I went to go to my 3:30 appt. with the blood mobile and it was no where to be found! I called and called the info hotline number and they didn't answer. I called them again this morning and the blood drive is in fact today beginning at 3:30! I'm so sorry for the inconvenience and appreciate your efforts.

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

class is in session..come grab a seat and check it out...

3:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home